Sunday, October 26, 2008

It Just Doesn't Get any Better!

We decided to ride at McDowell mtn park this week and had a great time. The desert classic race will be there next week, and Brandon and I thought it would be fun to ride the course (or at least some part of it). I, as always, was not too sure as I got up at 5:45 on a Saturday morning, but was, as always, super glad I did when we got there. It was a little chilly, with a slight breeze, but was clear and crisp as the sun rose (the kind of morning that east coasters read about in travel magazines). As I unloaded my bike and waited for Brandon, I had a nice surprise when Zac and Ian rode up to greet me. I didn’t know they were riding here today and it was great to see them ( I cant say we rode with them, ‘cause there’s no way I can keep up). We did visit for a while and I got to meet Zac’s team manager Darren. Go get ‘em next week Zac!
Brandon arrived and we geared up and started out. The sport loop looked good (tech loop has a skull and crossbones on the trailhead in my trail book, so we avoided it!), so we headed that way. I was surprised that we didn’t see more riders on the trail since there were quite a few cars in the lot, but we only saw other riders once or twice. This area is bigger than it seems. Brandon had fixed his chain jumping under power with a new front sprocket, so I struggled to keep up ( I’m 43 and don’t have the thighs I used to!). note to self – get out more! The back side of the sport loop was crazy fun even for an old guy like me. Slightly downhill, carving and winding through tight arroyos in the nearly pristine desert. Wow. We made the short loop twice before it was time to go.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I pity the folks who never get out. To stay in the city all the time, and never get out to clean air and the beauty of nature, seems criminal. Especially when its so close to town! It’s just possible that most of the worlds problems could be solved by putting the parties involved on bikes and saying “race you to the top!”. Just existing together in nature with a common interest has amazing therapeutic effects. We’ll be out there next week cheering for Zac and hope to see you all out there.
Remember, NOW is the time to get out and ride!
...Ryan

No comments: